Thursday, January 6, 2011

#7 I Would Like to go on a Date. Tonight.

I stared blankly at the sheet of paper waiting for the floodgates to open.  Pretty soon all of my pent up desires would just gush onto the page.  ‘#1 I would like to listen to The Mars Volta,’ I scribbled desperately after a few minutes of contemplation.  Really?  That’s it? 

Then inspiration buzzed in my pocket.  “Want to go see Black Swan tonight?” my boyfriend texted.  “Only if we can eat at Buffalo first,” I quickly respond.

#8 I would like to eat chicken wings.
I felt like Santana.  Everything was coming my way.

Since its release, Black Swan has fostered a sense of fear and excitement in my mind.  With award nods from the Writer’s Guild and even the Golden Globes and an 88% tomatometer rating, it’s needless to say that critical reception has been favorable.  But, in the back of my mind a little voice cautions me to keep my distance.  Yech.  Natalie Portman.  Don’t you remember the Star Wars prequels, it begs.  Still, I can’t pass up spending time with my other half.

It doesn't take much to get me up and out of the house.  While I rarely photograph myself, I couldn't help but feel a wishy-washy 'it's the journey not the destination' sensation as I applied some make-up before we left for the theater.

In the end, the film did not disappoint.  Portman's emotional performance won me over from the first innocently anxious furrow of her brow.   

I snapped this photo as my boyfriend graciously paid for our date.  Decked out in his reversed Sam's Club badge as my press cover, I enjoyed a sense of entitlement (easily mistaken for a bootlegger's charm).

-Rebecca



1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your gushing desires.

    And I felt the same hesitation about Natalie Portman. Fuck Star Wars 1-3. They were like a stilted acting competition between Portman and Hayden Christensen. But Black Swan was dope, yo.

    ReplyDelete