Monday, January 3, 2011

My World Is Spinning


I can spend hours upon hours watching Youtube highlights of one of the nation’s most popular television shows, America’s Best Dance Crew, as I just stare in awe as every dance member flawlessly performs as one unit to the rhythm of the music. Whenever I watch these spectacular performances, I’m always inspired by how much time and effort the dance crew members put into choreographing the dance moves and how they get so creative in coming up with new and original stunts. One aspect of the show that immediately sparked my attention was the fact that the coolest and the most innovative dancers of the competition were mostly b-boys. B-boys exhibited raw talent right as they set foot on the stage, executing some of the sickest moves in dance that I have ever seen, such as windmills, head-spins, and flares. They spun around on their hands, twisted their bodies in every possible way, and still made every move graceful and beautiful to the human eye.

I’ll be blogging about the culture, background, and news of B-Boying. Although some of my readers out there will be puzzled by certain terminologies and events of the b-boy world, I’ll be introducing b-boying from its earliest roots to it most contemporary influences. From articles about popular b-boy clothing lines to interviews with some of the world’s greatest professional b-boys, I’ll be providing the blog with endless information about b-boying. B-boying has significantly influenced the hip-hop scene as well as the pop industry in general through movies (“You Got Served” or “Step Up”), music videos, fighting games (Tekken), politics, and dress. The culture has reached immense popularity internationally as numerous events spring up every day. I hope to share this passion with others and inspire them not only in dance, but in their everyday lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. Is this mostly dealing with Asian Americans that b-boys or are you going to talk about everyone? Also, is this mostly going to be about the resurgence in b-boy culture in the 21st century or will you also shed light on the 80s and 90s? I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete