Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Really Quite Atrocious

Ah, Park City, Utah.  Home of ski resorts, Ted Bundy and this year's Slamdance Film Festival.  This Saturday, January 22, the city will welcome independent filmmakers from all over the globe to show off their exploits, including Spanish director Fernando Barreda Luna.  His "found footage" film, aptly named Atrocious, is being called this year's Paranormal Activity.  Hold it right there.  Remind me why this is a compliment?  Sure the film made loads of money from mindless horror consumers, but think about the market!  There's a great chance if this film succeeds that it will be picked up (and remade) by American film companies.  Really?  No thanks, I don't think I'd like another Blair Witch Project rip-off shoved down my throat.


1 comment:

  1. I saw some stuff on this. It looks pretty bad, but foreign movies in this style have a track record of getting picked up and Americanized, and being made even worse. I don't know if you've seen REC., but it's the Spanish film Quarantine ripped off, and actually alright. I haven't seen enough on Atrocious to decide what I think of it yet, though.
    You can watch Rec here, if you're interested.

    http://www.crackle.com/c/Rec

    ReplyDelete